Texas has changed quite a bit over the years, as is readily seen in our vast photograph collection. To help bring some of those changes to life, we’ve created a “Texas over Time” series of GIFs that will illustrate the construction and renovations of buildings, changing aerial views, and more. Our collections are especially strong on Waco and Baylor images, but look for some views beyond the Heart of Texas, too.
Baylor University–Marketing and Communications–Baylor Photography–Ferrell Center construction, 1987-1988
- Built because of Baylor’s desire to have a large-capacity multi-use events facility.
- Originally slated for construction in the site of the current Baylor Sciences Building, ground breaking on the present location took place in 1987, and was completed in 1988.
- Named after Charles Robert Ferrell, a former Baylor student who was killed in a car accident in 1967.
- Notable speakers at the Ferrell Center include Bill Cosby, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Lady Margaret Thatcher, First Lady Barbara Bush, President Barack Obama, and General Colin Powell.
- Currently houses the men’s and women’s basketball teams and hosts commencement exercises every year.
White, Dana. “Fund-raiser featuring Bill Cosby sold out.” The Lariat 3 Sept. 2002: Web. Fiedler, Randy. “Ferrell Center turns 25.” Baylor Magazine Fall 2013: Web.
Check out our Flickr set to see the individual images (with better color quality) that comprise this GIF.
GIF and factoids by Braxton Ray, archives student assistant