Each month, we post an update to notify our readers about the latest archival collections to be processed and some highlights of our print material acquisitions. These resources are primed for research and are just a sampling of the many resources to be found at The Texas Collection!
November’s finding aids
By Paul Fisher, Processing Archivist
- Texas Sheet Music collection, 1836-1979, undated (#258): An assortment of songs and sheet music relating to Texas. Many of these songs pertain to the Texas War of Independence, famous military leaders, Christmas in Texas, the state flower, the state song, the city of Waco, and life in the American Southwest.
These departmental pamphlets found in the collection highlight the variety of opportunities available at Baylor and historical changes in higher education for home economics as a whole You’ll find these items in the BU Records: Home Economics Department (#BU/107) at The Texas Collection, Baylor University. Rights: Some rights reserved. E-mail email@example.com for information about the use of our images. Visit www.baylor.edu/lib/texas/ for more information about our collections.
- BU Records: Home Economics Department, 1916-1993, undated (#BU/107): Includes correspondence, education materials, literary productions, and photographic materials relating to Baylor’s Home Economics Department.
- Esse Forrester O’Brien papers, 1933-1937, undated (#1799): Documents pertaining to the creation of the book Art and Artists of Texas, one of the earliest systematic attempts to catalogue artists in the state of Texas.
- BU records: Center for Jewish Studies, 1937-2011 (#BU/380): Materials relating to the center’s operations, with financial documents as well as materials relating to special events and programming.
- Clyde and Mae Porter collection, 1837-1957, undated (#16): Original manuscripts by the Porters concerning the history of German immigrants who moved to southern Texas in the middle of the 1800s. The Porters focused their efforts on the history of the Dresel, Spiess, and Soergel families.
- BU records: Army Specialized Training Program, 1943-1944, undated (#BU/13): Collection contains programs and rosters pertaining to the U.S. Army Specialized Training Program conducted at Baylor University from 1943 to 1944.
- Texas Council of Church-Related Colleges records, 1937-1982, undated (#713): Member institution files, administrative files, and financial records of the Texas Council of Church-Related Colleges (1937-1981).
- BU Records: Baylor Sheet Music collection, 1891-1941, undated (#BU/396): Assortment of songs directly related to events, traditions, and athletics at Baylor University.
November’s print materials
By Amie Oliver, Librarian and Curator of Print Materials
Harding, Glenn T. Rails to the Rio. [Raymondville, TX]: [Glenn Harding], . Print.
Highlighting the 2004 centennial of the St. Louis, Brownsville & Mexico Railroad, this volume also provides information on towns created and/or affected by rail construction. Click here to view in BearCat.
Collias, Joe G. The Texas & Pacific Railway: Super-Power to Streamliners, 1925-1975. Crestwood, MO: M M Books, . Print.
This volume provides a deeper look at 50 years of the Texas & Pacific Railway and is filled with many photographs of trains, depots, and rail yards. Click here to view in BearCat.