Texas has changed quite a bit over the years, as is readily seen in our vast photograph collection. To help bring some of those changes to life, we’ve created a “Texas over Time” series of GIFs that will illustrate the construction and renovations of buildings, changing aerial views, and more. Our collections are especially strong on Waco and Baylor images, but look for some views beyond the Heart of Texas, too.
Pat Neff Hall construction, 1939
- Pat Neff Hall was started in 1938 (with a Masonic cornerstone laying ceremony on December 7, 1938) and completed in 1939. The building was dedicated on Founders Day 1940.
- President Neff received an offer from the General Educational Board of a $50,000 gift to the university if an administration building was built to free up classroom space.
- The 46,000 sq. ft. building was built in the American Georgian style, by Waco architectural firm Birch D. Easterwood and Son, at a cost of around $250,000.
- The original carillon (the Cullen F. Thomas Carillon) was initiated on December 21, 1939, but dedicated at the same time as the hall. The original carillon cost $15,000 and consisted of 25 bells. Chronic mechanical failures eventually led to its replacement by the McLane Carillion, named for the Drayton McLane family of Temple. Cast in France by the prestigious Paccard Bell Foundry, the 48 bell carillon cost $325,000, and was dedicated at Homecoming 1988. Read more about the McLane Carillon and its circuitous route to Baylor.
- The dome was originally stainless steel, making it the second stainless steel roof in the country, until gold leafing was put on in 2000.
- The tradition of green lights of Pat Neff after athletic wins was started in 1978.
Henry, Jay C. Architecture in Texas, 1895-1945. Austin: University of Texas Press, 1993. Print
BUSF: Buildings: Pat Neff Hall
BUSF: Buildings: Pat Neff Hall – Cullen F. Thomas Carillon
BUSF: Buildings: Pat Neff Hall – McLane Carillon
Check out our Pat Neff Hall construction Flickr set to see the individual photos (and a few more).